Front End Developer
£25000 - £45000 per annum.
Date added: 02/06/17
Our Front End Developers are responsible for building new generation user interfaces and experiences for Polecat’s amazing software solution MeaningMine.
That includes, but is not limited to:
- Building a new generation of user interfaces and experiences.
- Building experiences with data.
- MeaningMine is a complicated and powerful application. It can be used in many different ways. Understand the different patterns of usage based on feature functionality, and play a role in building new andoptimised experiences for each of those areas (2-3 year project).
- Gain an understanding of what the customer wants to see and achieve. Provide recommendations and partner with the team on how we deliver on those visual expectations.
- Create audit trails to assist in creating customer understanding around why Polecat is providing the risk flags they are in the customer visuals.
- Reinforce user trust by creating easy (not overwhelming) ways for customers to drill down and understand the validity of the data and outcomes.
- Creating visually exciting data results in compelling ways that meet our customer’s needs – showing relationships, trends,breakout of companies, etc.
- Moving from Excel looking charts to more interactive data visuals that are richer and deeper in data elements – visuals that provide more choices for control and exploration (navigation) for the customer.
- Creating new interfaces for exploring andsummarising data.
- Action points (i.e. risk by company, vendor, location, territory, etc.)
- Be a collaborative and contributing functional team member:
- Contribute technical insight to assist in developing and refining product vision
- Support the work of other teams with the Product group, such as the Solutions and Test teams
- Contribute to platform UI architecture decisions and technology choices
- Contribute to feature definition, design, planning and estimating
- Engage in lightweight team project processes to ensure work proceeds rapidly and on-timeline, minimise waste and resolve issues quickly
- Assist the team in evolving practices, standards and tool sets to continuously improve our output
- Share knowledge, ideas and expertise with team members to help them solve specific issues
- Share experience and insight as a mentor to others in the organisation whenever appropriate
- Team members with a greater level of experience and expertise are expected to take more responsibility for UI architecture, UI design, mentoring etc. but all team members will have involvement.
- Be diligent in meeting delivery commitments
- Exhibit good verbal and written communications. Communicate effectively and appropriately in a team environment – both with your immediate and broader team members
- Ability to create and communicate external modelling in a way that effectively simplifies the concept(s) so that non-development team members are able understand
- On rare occasions, when necessary, help to resolve urgent live issues
- Develop ongoing expertise and technical leadership in your areas of focus
- Build your personal knowledge of the company, and promote the Company's best interests in a wider context (both internally and externally as applicable)
Skills & Requirements
To join us you will need:
- Degree with a relevant focus and/or an applicable level of commercial experience
- Awareness and enthusiasm for software best practices. Experience with broader business awareness vs. solely task driven objectives.
Essential items needed:
- Web application UI implementation - turning wireframes into HTML/CSS, working to style guidelines
- Web UI frameworks such as material ui, bootstrap
- Responsive layout implementation
Ideal items needed:
- Some UX design - capable of solving detail-level UX problems that arise at implementation time
- Some graphic design - capable of improvising quality solutions to details not specified in initial designs
- Technical understanding sufficient to comment on feasibility of design proposals
- Single-page apps, js frameworks such as angular, react + redux, backbone, ember
- Developer tools & workflow - IDEs, version control, working in an agile team
- Sass, Less
- Grunt, Gulp, Node
- Optimising perceived performance of web applications
- Building UI for long lived products
- Working with interaction designers (e.g. user centred design process)
- Working in an agile scrum environment
Desirable and big plus:
- Data fluency, experience working with web services, REST
- Other programming experience or interest in learning
- Automated testing
- Data visualisation experience
- Animation experience
We'll be looking for you to demonstrate these qualities:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good judgement and ability to make pragmatic choices
- Focus on company goals and customer needs, awareness of value of your work in a wider business context
- Collaborative merit-based decision-making
- Ability to make progress despite ambiguity (research, analyse, select the best course of action, move forward – all in a timely manner)
- Build and maintain good relationships within your team and the broader company
- High quality output consistent with team standards
- High level of personal ownership and accountability
- Creativity and invention whilst striving for simplicity
- Delivering results
- Good sense of humour
- You don’t take yourself too seriously
Here are some things you can expect if you join us:
- A friendly, sociable, communicative and collaborative team
- Flexible working conditions
- Significant autonomy
- A continuous flow of challenging UI projects contributing to progress towards Company goals
- Exposure to new UI technologies
- Experience with emerging data visualisation tools and techniques
- Involvement in improving our processes and methods
- Time set aside for experimentation, research and personal development
About Polecat Incisive Intelligence
Established in 2007, Polecat has offices in London, Bristol, New York and California. We are a rapidly growing UK and US based company, providing big data risk intelligence solutions to AAA rated global companies and institutions with a focus on the energy, health and finance sectors. Polecat is a leader within the risk management / risk intelligence big data space. As a very early entrant to automated analytics, Polecat has been delivering “big data” solutions before the term big data was coined. Some of our customers include companies such as Shell, Johnson & Johnson, KPMG, the UK’s National Health Services (NHS) and the Central Bank of Ireland.
Polecat delivers technology based insight in real-time, providing our customers with the ability to make factual, critical business decisions and mitigate risks within their organisation and supply chain. Our systems ingest many millions of unstructured data elements per day from a huge array of sources to feed into our risk intelligence platform. Customers from widely varying sectors are able to explore and visualise trends, issues and influencers specific to their operations, monitor potential risks, correlate and drill down into the source data and receive targeted alerts to those items and areas that are most important to them.
Polecat is a team of passionate professionals focused on creating exceptional solutions and experiences for our customers. Equally, we have a focus on creating an environment of trust and collaboration that is a fun, flexible and supportive place for our team to thrive, grow and succeed. Successful team members at Polecat have high levels of passion and personal accountability. We work hard, enjoy what we do and are rewarded for results.
- Annual holidays (25 days – increases with tenure)
- Bank holidays (in addition to annual holiday noted above)
- Enhanced sick time
- Employee share option scheme
- Pension plan scheme with employer match
- Flexible office environment
- Casual work environment
- Pet friendly offices (clean, trained and well behaved dogs)
- Great team environment – we’ve here to help provide everything you need to be successful!